Nothing spreads holiday cheer faster than holiday gift giving, but shopping for all of those gifts during the busiest time of year can be enough to bring out the Scrooge in anyone. Follow these ten tips to save time and sanity as you shop this holiday season.
- Shop early. Shopping early allows you be more creative with your gift choices giving you time to shop unique, local or handmade gifts.
- Keep a list of gift ideas mentioned by friends and family throughout the year, so when its time for holiday shopping, you’ll know exactly what they will enjoy most. Store the list in your cell phone or tablet so you always have it with you.
- If you find gifts you really like, buy multiples to keep things simple. Be sure to buy a few general gifts like scented candles, decorative totes and movie tickets for unexpected holiday guests.
- Online shopping is a real times saver, especially if your gift list is on the hefty side. Many online stores offer free shipping during the holidays, which is hard to pass up when you’re pressed for time.
- Whenever possible, shop at stores that offer free gift wrap services for their customers.
- Don’t overspend. Make a budget and stick to it. You don’t want to put yourself in a financial hole for a good part of the New Year.
- Even though there are lots of great holiday deals out there, curve your urge and don’t shop for yourself.
- Host a “gift wrapping party.” The more the merrier!
- Create a gift wrap caddy to keep sharp scissors, invisible tape, assorted gift boxes and tissue paper handy.
10. Find a secret storage location for gifts. A closet, shelf, drawer or under the bed nook make perfect “gift closets.”