Now that the snow has settled in and the busy holiday season has come to an end, it’s time to maximize spaces throughout the home for a fresh New Year! Here are four easy tips from our team of organizers to help you get started:
- Since it’s likely you’ll spend more time indoors this time of year, it’s the perfect time to purge the home of things you don’t use or need. The key is to start with one room at a time. Completing a room will empower you to move on to the next and you’ll be less likely to become overwhelmed and give up!
- Once you start on a room, use a sorting method used by many professional organizers called the S.P.A.C.E. acronym – Sort, Purge, Assign a Home, Containerize and Evaluate. Watch this video now to see “SPACE” in action.
- Create a “drop zone” at the front door so snowy shoes, wet hats and damp coats never make it inside the home. Mudrooms, hall closets and back door entrances are the perfect space to corral these winter accessories. Use adjustable shelving like Organized Living freedomRail so that you can change shelves and baskets around for each season.
- Whether it’s a kitchen pantry, or bedroom closet that you’re working on, there are a few general tips to keep in mind for any space:
- Always group like items together so they’re easier to find.
- Place frequently used items front and center so they’re easy to access.
- Containers work for almost anything! Perfect for sorting crafts, accessories, supplies, paperwork, clothes, shoes and food. Plus, containers are usually in sale in January because it’s the most popular time to get organized!