Counter and cabinet space is at a premium in most homes, so I'm always looking for ways to maximize these areas in the kitchen. The kitchen counter especially tends to become a clutter magnet in the home. And the cabinets are often neglected because they're behind closed doors. Free up space and clear the clutter with these simple kitchen organizing tips.
- Start fresh by emptying each cupboard and drawer. Donate items you don't use or need.
- One set of everyday silverware is generally plenty. Pick a drawer where they’re easily accessible so you their easy to access.
- Keep only the dishes that are part of matching sets. Use vertical cabinet organizers to help divide dinner plates, salad plates and bowls, so you don't have to un-stack one style to get to the other.
- Install hooks underneath the top shelf of kitchen cabinets for hanging mugs and teacups. Hang a stemware holder for stemmed glassware, leaving space below for plates and bowls.
- Rather than stacking cutting boards, serving trays, and baking sheets in cabinets, use cabinet dividers so they’re easy to find.
- Pantry doors can do double duty when you add cork board or dry erase boards. Place them inside of cabinet doors and use this space as a home for “grab-n-go” items like keys and memos.
- Use lazy susans inside cupboards and cabinets for storing anything from canned goods to baby foods.
- Throw out any spices more than 3 years old. If you can’t smell them, you won’t be able to taste them either. Store the remaining spices on a turntable or inside drawers in expandable drawer organizers so you can quickly find them as you’re cooking.