According to Houzz, throughout the past century, garage dimensions have remained about 9 to 10 feet wide and 18 to 20 feet long per car, with a single garage door width of 8 feet. Although today, dimensions are similar, the difference is that we tend to want more space for storing our stuff along with the car.
This means to get it organized, you need to use every opportunity to maximize walls - and it all begins with correct measurements.
- First, grab a notepad and pencil to record measurements.
- Use a tape measure larger than 25' so that you don't have to measure multiple times in smaller increments.
- If you're measuring solo, use painters tape to hold down one end of the tape measure as you expand the other.
- If you're adding storage to an entire wall, be sure to deduct 1" off the total measurement to give shelving wiggle room to fit.
- After you measure garage walls, consider the size of your car before you determine storage needs. A good way to do this is to park it in its normal spot inside. Then, place blue painter's tape around the outline of the car. You can remove the car after this so you have more space to work but will still have the space mapped out for storage.
- Determine "major" and "minor" walls when you are designing the space. Major walls have more depth and are usually in front of vehicles or off to one side. They allow you to add cabinets and deep shelves without interfering with your car. And, they provide space for you to walk around cars and still open garage cabinets. Minor walls are narrower. They do not provide adequate depth to store cabinets or deep shelves - but you can still use the space for wall storage.
Here are a few examples on how to design for both:
Example of types of storage for a "major" wall.
Example of storage that you should add to "minor" walls.
Now that you are a measuring pro, are you ready to tackle the garage this weekend? Use our online design tool to select a freedomRail Garage space to fits your measurements. Or, find a local dealer for design help.
Plus, with less than one week to go, you can save 25% on freedomRail Garage now through June 30!